Energy Services

parallax background

Energy Services is designed to assist in meeting energy needs with low-income households and encouraging consumers to control energy costs through energy education.

What we offer

TCOG's Energy Services department includes utility and weatherization services.

parallax background

Utility Assistance

Utility assistance provides co-payment of utilities and the provision of supportive services in an effort to transition low-income families out of poverty and off of public assistance.

Counties served: Collin, Cooke, Denton, Fannin, Grayson, Hunt, Rockwall

Utility assistance includes the co-payment of utilities for a specific period of time while learning ways to conserve energy. Services also include a case management program with the goal of transitioning families off welfare by providing assistance with the cost of expenses such as education, training and other necessary supplies and supportive services.

Each client situation is evaluated through an application process and the appropriate program service is then determined. Individual goals and objectives are identified as well as techniques for budgeting and energy conservation which will transition the client from poverty and/or address crisis situations.

Household SizeMaximum Income Level (Per Year)*
Families with more than 8 personsAdd $6,630 for each additional person
* Subject to change annually. Eligibility for CEAP is calculated at 150% of Federal Poverty Guidelines. Amounts listed above effective February 4, 2019.

Collin County

Assistance Center of Collin County

900 18th Street
Plano, TX 75074

Collin County

Salvation Army

600 Wilson Creek Pkwy.
McKinney, TX 76069

Cooke County

Workforce Solutions

900 North Grand
Gainesville, TX 76240

Denton County

Denton Public Library, North Branch

3020 N. Locust Street
Denton, TX 76209

Denton Housing Authority

Denton Housing Authority

1225 Wilson St.
Denton, TX 76205

Fannin County

TEAM Center

810 W. 16th Street
Bonham, TX 75418

Grayson County

Texoma Council of Governments

1117 Gallagher Drive
Sherman, TX 75090

Hunt/Rockwall Counties

Salvation Army

4601 King Street
Greenville, TX 75401

Schedule an Appointment
parallax background

Weatherization Assistance

Weatherization assistance provides the installation of energy-saving applications to homes which reduces energy consumption up to 40%.

Weatherization services reduce the infiltration of air producing lower utility costs. The assistance can be provided to both owner-occupied and renter-occupied units and provides such energy improvements as: insulation in the attic, walls and floors; caulking; weather-stripping; and repair or replacement of heating and air conditioning units.

Counties served: Bowie, Camp, Cass, Collin, Cooke, Delta, Denton, Fannin, Franklin, Grayson, Hopkins, Hunt, Lamar, Marion, Morris, Rains, Red River, Rockwall, and Titus.

Community Services Block Grant (CSBG)

The CSBG Program provides assistance to local communities and organizations for the reduction of poverty, the revitalization of low-income communities, and the empowerment of low-income families and individuals in rural and urban areas.

Assistance includes: education, employment and emergency food support. CSBG Services are available to residents of Cooke, Fannin and Grayson Counties.

Meet the Team

Energy Services

Evan Brown

WAP Program Manager


Judy Fullylove

Energy Services Director


Kenisha Golston

CEAP/CSBG Program Manager


Program Staff

Ashley Barrera

Energy Services Specialist


Nick Brown



Terry Carr

Energy Services Specialist


Dana Colston

Energy Services Program Assistant


Krystal Fox

Energy Services Specialist


Bobbie McDonald

Casework Specialist


Cory Morris



Carol Noreen

Energy Services Program Specialist


Stevi Stowers

Energy Services Specialist


CSAC Members

Community Services Advisory Council Members
Mr. Jeff Stanley
Mayor - City of Howe
Mr. Joe Passanisi
City Commissioner - City of Ravenna
Vice Chairman
Ms. Marsha Lindsey
Deputy Director/EO Officer - Workforce Solutions Texoma
Secretary / Treas.
Mr. Josh Brinkley
Mayor - City of Valley View
Mrs. Patty Haayen
Director of Research - Padic Private Investigation
Ms. Janet Karam
ADRC Program Manager - Texoma Council of Governments
Ms. Yvonne Sandmann
Office for Students with Disabilities (OSD) Advisor - North Central Texas College
Mrs. Brianna Sundberg
FSS/Homeownership Coordinator - Texoma Council of Governments
Mrs. Lou Ann Taylor
Social Services Specialist - Texoma Housing Partners
Mr. Terry Tombaugh
Manager of Public Affairs - Atmos Energy


Meeting Minutes

No Community Services Advisory Council Meeting minutes are available.

Applications & Forms

Important Contact Information


Texoma Council of Governments
ATTN: Energy Services

1117 Gallagher Drive, Suite 200
Sherman, TX 75090

Automated Appointment Scheduling Line

(866) 904-8647

Main Phone

(903) 813-3541 - Utility Assistance

(903) 813-3530 - Weatherization Assistance

Email Address - Utility Assistance - Weatherization Assistance


Incomplete applications or missing documentation will delay application process.
Required Documentation

Proof of income for all household members over the age of 18 for the previous thirty (30) days.

Provide the income that applies to your household.
  • If paid weekly, four (4) current check stubs
  • If paid bi-weekly, two (2) current check stubs
  • If paid monthly, one (1) current check stub
  • Social Security Award Letter for current year
  • Retirement Income Letter for current year
  • VA award letter for current year
  • TANF printout for previous thirty (30) days
  • Child Support Letter (showing how much you receive on a monthly basis)
  • Unemployment printout (showing how much you have received in the past 30 days)
  • Documentation of any other income received in your household for the past thirty days
    All pages (front and back) of your current utility bills.
  • Electricity bill
  • Gas bill
  • Propane bill
  • All household members 16 and over
  • Photo ID (Valid Drivers License, Texas ID Card, Passport)
  • Proof of Citizenship (Birth Certificate, Voter Registration Card, Certificate of Naturalization, Certificate of Citizenship)
  • For children under the age of 16, we must have:
  • Birth certificates -or- shot records

Frequently Asked Questions

1How do I apply for services?
We want to make to process for you as simple as possible, so we have made the application and related forms available for download. Just visit our application section to access. If you have any additional questions, feel free to call our office at 903-813-3541.
2How do you determine if I am eligible for assistance?
Initial eligibility is based on the level of household income for all persons 18 years and over. Other factors include whether there is a deposit due on the utility account, and the account must be in the name of an adult living in the household.
3How long does it take to process my file?
It can take up to four (4) weeks to process a utility application.
4What type of verification do I need?
In order to determine eligibility, the following documentation is required:
  1. Photo ID of all persons 18 or older living in the household
  2. Birth certificates of all children 17 and under living in the household
  3. Income documentation for all adults 18 and over living in the household (check stubs, Social Security award letter, VA award letter, etc.)
  4. TANF documentation
  5. Current gas, propane or electric bill
  6. 2nd form of ID (i.e. passport, military ID, voter registration card or birth certificate)
5Do I have to fill out all of this paperwork?
Please read the instructions in the application packet. Applications will not be processed until ALL documents are received.
6I do not have a birth certificate, voter registration card, passport or military ID. Can I send you a copy of my social security card?
7I do not have a copy of my Social Security award letter. Can I send a copy of last year's award letter or a bank statement as proof of what I received from Social Security?
No. We cannot process an application without an award letter for the current year. A bank statement is not acceptable. Contact the Social Security Administration to request an award letter.
8How does TCOG decide how much will be paid to my utility company?
When you apply for assistance, you give us permission to obtain your utility records for the past year. For households on fixed income (Social Security, SSI, etc.), the payments are based on your billing history for that month in the previous year, up to the allowable dollar limit.
9Why did I get a disconnect notice if TCOG made a pledge to pay my utility bill?
Utility companies usually send disconnect notices automatically; those are in no way affected by what we are able to pledge on your account. After we make a pledge to the utility company, we have 30-45 days to send the company a check. They will not disconnect you unless you owe them fees that have not been paid, such as late fees, disconnect fees or reconnect fees, or if you get a returned check for a payment you previously made. We cannot pledge or pay any of those items. Also, if you receive a new bill after we make our pledge we can’t be responsible for that amount. Talk to your case manager at the time of application to be certain you understand which items will be paid.
10Why do I have a balance forward on my new utility bill if TCOG paid last month's bill?
The utility company has either not received or processed our check yet (same as above). Some utility companies take longer to process our payments than regular payments from their customers. The payment will show up on your next bill. You are responsible for any unpaid balances.
11I have a disconnection notice and I will be shut-off today. What should I do?
We do not have emergency utility assistance. We recommend that you contact the utility company and ask for an extension. It can take 5-7 days business days to process a disconnection.
12I have left several telephone messages. Why hasn't anyone returned my call?
Due to the high volume of phone calls we receive it can take 24-48 hours for someone to return your call. Leaving several messages in one day can delay this process.
13Did you get my fax?
We receive dozens of faxes each day. A confirmation notice should print from the fax machine informing you if the fax went through successfully. Keep the confirmation notice. If you have not heard from us in four (4) weeks, feel free to call. INCLUDE YOUR NAME ON ALL DOCUMENTS.
14Can I email my application to you?
Applications can be faxed to: (903) 813-3522 or mailed to:
TCOG Energy Services
1117 Gallagher Drive, Suite 200
Sherman, TX 75090
15Do I have to make an appointment to talk with someone about my current situation?
Yes. Clients are seen by appointment only.
16If I am denied assistance, what should I do?
You can appeal the denial of assistance after thirty (30) days.
17Can I apply for utility assistance every year?
Yes, a household can apply once a year for utility assistance. Elderly and disabled household can apply starting in January. Families with children 5 years of age and younger can apply starting in February. All other households can apply starting in March.
18What happens if I move or change utility companies? Do I still get assistance?
Please notify us immediately if you have a change of address or change utility companies.
19Can I apply for weatherization services every year?
No. Homes are eligible for Weatherization services only once every twenty (20) years.